`

FULTON
The City the Great Depression Missed
(New York Sun Newspaper, 1930s)

The Oswego River was a main route to Lake Ontario from the inland areas of the State.  The river was quite navigable from the Three Rivers, Oneida, Seneca and Oswego junction.  The river drops about 117 feet to Lake Ontario producing the stony rapids that a river traveler  encounters.  Travelers would pull out of the river on the east side near what is now the upper bridge and transport their conveyance overland to a spot near the present Northern city line.
This became known as the "carrying place" later evolving into the village of Fulton, supposedly named after Robert Fulton, the steamboat builder.  The west side became known as Oswego Falls and saw its expansion after the Civil War with the availability of plots in the Military Tract.
The travel on the river was greatly improved with the building of a canal connecting Oswego with the Eire Canal being built across the State.  River shipping provided many folks with a good income until the proliferation of the rail industry.  By this time the two sides of the river had consolidated and soon sported major rail lines.  Of course in time rail gave way to the trucking industry. 
The falls inspired many to channel the power of the river to turn water wheels that in turned  machinery in new industries that were now locating along the river.
Fulton tried to capitalize on the growing interstate highway system being pushed by the Eisenhower administration during the 1950's and got a grant to see that there would be a new North-South and an East-West highway availability to the area residents.  During the planning, it was reported that one of the large manufacturers told the gathering of city fathers that they could build the road anyplace they wanted as long as it intersected near his factory so that the trucks used for shipping could get in to the docks quickly and then back on the road without having to deal with congested traffic.  Why, the gathering was told that with the road going through town would increase business immensely.  The travelers would see the window displays and want to stop and shop.  Of course this didn't really happen and a few years later "Urban Renewal" was the center focus.  The great magnificent buildings that not only gave us a glimpse of Fulton's prosperous heritage but also how man could create such wonderful sights. 
So, from the humble beginning of a portage stop on the river , up through a great depression and into the futuristic creation of cement blocks and mortar, Fulton has kept its dignity and is a great place to live.
There many good books covering Fulton's history both in the wonderful library and bookstores.

Here is my meager collection of the sights of Fulton and some of the people that helped Fulton be what it is.      (Click for larger view)

Pathfinder Island
Pathfinder Island, Oswego River, North
8874 Oneida

874 Oneida Street , 1950

Car at Fair
At the Fulton Fair, F. Ruth LePointe in back & (Frank) Dick Stewart.

Touring Car
Ferry

Rope ferry crossing to Pathfinder Island
Looking NE
Looking northeast on Oneida Street.
Whitaker Road and Gillispie Farm visible.
Circa 1943
Horse & Buggy

John H., wife Coral (Bracy) and Flora Ruth LePointe  circa 1910
Mercury

1949 Mercury
Old High School

Old Fulton High School at the SE corner of East Fourth and Cayuaga Street.
During school year 1955 students were transferred to the new Fairgrieve School.

HS 1921

1921 Fulton High School Graduating Class
Locks

Barge Canal Lock showing wickets (vertically adjusted dam)
Fulton, NY


L to R
Coral (Bracy) LePointe, Bessie Bracy,
Lulu Bracy, Ruth LePointe
Bracy Sisters
 
Taken at boarding house, 270 W.3rd Street.
circa 1907


Bess & VanVal
Bessie Bracy Mylchrest (hairdresser State & Park)
Ollie and Dick VanValkenburg

Doris & Jim

Doris and Jim Fadden
Explorers
Explorer Post 570 B.S.A.  Silver Award night
Bill Scott, Post advisor; Mr. G.L. Darling, John Darling; Mrs. Ruth Darling; Ron Muckey; Mrs. Muckey
circa 1958
Florence

Florence Roth
Graduate of Oawego Normal School
Taught one room schools and at the old 4th Street school
Bowlarama

Bowlarama, Rt. 48 North getting ready to open.
Manager Art Meltzer and assistant at Service Desk checking supplies.  circa November,1958
Bowlarama 2

Bowlarama, Rt. 48 North.  Meltzer brothers and staff ready to open.  November 1958
John LePointe

John Hyson LePointe  1872 - 1908
Paper machine mechanic.  Died at Lyons Falls servicing a paper machine.
Photographer - Foster.
Nina

Nina Belle Bracy VanValkenburg
1885 - 1948  Wife of Frank VanValkenburg
Lived on Seward Street

25th Anniversary

G. L. & F. R. Darling 25th anniversary 1949
(l - r) Harold Beardsley, G.L., F. Ruth, Marion Beardseley (Attendants)
WIBC
The "girls from Fulton"
1952 Tournament St. Louis
Womans International Bowling Conference
(picture labeled, l to r) Collins, Darling. Miguel, Rudnay, Dibello.
Older Couple
Part of LePointe or Bracy family?
Photographer - Darrow
1922 Yearbok

1922 High School Yearbook
Grad Certificate

1918 Admission to High School